Wednesday 24 December 2008

Christmas shopping - Primark

This afternoon I did some shopping for christmas and to get some stuff for my ski trip. The high street was full of people. All the shops are packed with people, just like any other ordinary Christmas.

However I've realised something different. Most of the shops are packed with people, but there's hardly anyone queing up at the cashier. Seems like a lot of people just get in there to try new clothes and don't wanna buy anymore clothes. I guess this is due to the economic climate, and the people here are feeling the squeeze.

However, there's this one shop standing in the middle of the high street, where the queue is longer than the ones in the post office. It's Primark. For those who have done shopping in the UK will definitely know its presence.


So, what's so special about Primark. Well, they sell cheap clothings, with tolerable quality and up to date fashions. So how cheap, is cheap? I've got 2 pairs of gloves for my ski trip for 1.50 only. In terms of quality, I've been wearing their tie for the past 3 years and they're still here and still up to date.

My impression of Primark is that it operates more like a hypermarket for clothings. Normally, people carry a basket when they're shopping in Primark, and sometimes, you can see trolleys. I'm not joking, I'm serious.

All the items in Primark are all messy and all over the place including the floor (because there's too many people and too many clothes). It's always crowded in Primark, even during weekdays and non-festive seasons. Part of the security guard's job is to make sure that people queue up properly, rather than preventing theft.

Since the products that they sell are so cheap, it's the last thing that cross my mind to steal from Primark. Haha... What I'm really interested in is how and where does Primark managed to sell it's product in such a cheap price?

Get the products manufactured in China or India? There was once a report stating even if the goods are manufactured from foreign countries, it's still unable to bring down the price, due to taxes and transportation. There have been rumours that they've probably employed under-aged workers or they're involved in something else... Hmm... Probably money laundry?? Hmm.... I'm really puzzled....

Anyone knows more about Primark? Please let me know. I'm very curious about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counting
dell inspiron 531 desktop